Monday, September 12, 2011

FireFox Addons


As we all know there are many weird and wonderful addons for Firefox. But to quote Mal ... there is no such thing as a free lunch. Addons do take time to load on start up (some majorly shamed back in April 2011) and do consume memory/cpu processing time.

These are the ones I use in order of frequency of use.

ScrapBook - this is one I would not and could not live without. I have about 1.6gb of data saved in god knows how many categories. I have customised the settings to store in a remote location for backup purposes and I have set my list of recently used categories to 20 (which seems to work for me). I would love to see the following features added;
  • Bug - Save Page does not save direct linked files eg PDF's
  • Option to add to top of category list
  • Citation data extraction
  • Better search function
  • Temporary sorting function
  • Tags
  • Better note function (eg HTML editor)
  • Document the potential for customisation
DownloadHelper - for all those "useful" vids you just need to keep. It did have some issues with startup which apparently have been addressed as it has come off the shame list.

Dictionary - always add your Aussie dictionary for Firefox and Thunderbird.

Search Engines - great way to add your fav search engine.

EPUBReader - reads ePub Files in Firefox.

Firebug - I usually have this one disabled but its damn useful to check out HTML source.

Autopager - seemed like a good idea at the time but really not that useful. Disabled.

SQLite Manager - dito.

Zotero - a citation database that I still have to get my head around.

No comments:

Post a Comment