Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why being a Weight Weenie is Wonderful

I not only admit I am a weight weenie ... but I embrace it. I have just spent three hours looking at the weight of my road bike compared to someone "light" bike. I probably spent about double the time (which really means triple) thinking and researching about this issue. When you consider the exorbitant hourly rate I charge you would really wonder why I even bother.

I guess a few reasons ... I am a geek and I need the warm fuzzy knowing I am making the best decision.

To this end, I will attack this in three parts.

This being Part 1 where I will look at my bike compared to a "light" bike to see where and how significant the differences are.

Part 2 of my investigation will be looking at the bike resistant forces during rides to assess what is really important.

Part 3 will look at the biomechanics of riding faster (which is my root cause).

Part 1 - Component Weights
Item
"Light" Giant TCR Composite '02 (not OEM)
My Protour
Delta
Cost
$3500+ est
$0
$ for me
Bike
6854
11060
4206
Frame1325
3236
1911
Components
3373
4709
1336
Wheelsets
2155
3155
960

Weights in the above table are in grams. I know these values don't quite add up but I am not chasing 40g on here any more then I am on my bike. Weights in the above table are in grams.

But I think the table has convinced me that yes I can make significant weight savings in my frame and componentry but there are only limited savings to be made in the wheelsets where the most benefit can be made. There is potential to save about 400g in tyres and tubes which I can implement next time I need to change.

Interim Conclusion
I don't think a smick new bike is my answer although it would be nicer then the cruel harsh reality I need to train harder (and smarter?). Some new go fast tyres and tubes will be on the cards and a lil more investigating as detailed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment